God's Will for Our Lives

{ Richard Stearns, World Vision president and author of The Hole in Our Gospel.
Image from the book press release.}
James and I, along with our church growth group, have been reading The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns (he's the president of World Vision).  I've only read the first 5 chapters and have already sopped the pages with countless tears.  Stearns' testimony is amazingly powerful.  The way in which God gripped his heart to action and change is compelling.  If you know nothing about Richard Stearns, he was a successful, wealthy corporate CEO (he sold fine china to the rich) who also happened to be a Christian and lived a model Christian life.  He went to church every Sunday, had a wonderful marriage, went to Bible study, tithed each week, supported various charities, and sent his kids to private Christian school.   He even witnessed to his employees. 

But it wasn't until he was approached to consider a position as president of World Vision that his faith was really put to the test.   It would mean giving up everything he earned and worked so hard for - his successful career, his huge 10-bedroom home on 5-acre land, his Jaguar XK-8, his recent country club membership, his children's private school education.   He hadn't even been offered the job but the remote possibility led him to examine the idols of his heart.  Wealth, comfort, security had taken some deep roots there.

The question that was asked of him that stirred and prompted his heart was this:

Are you willing to be open to God's will for your life? 

Although his answer was "yes", it came with many stipulations. 

I know I can relate.

"Yes, Lord, but only if it won't be too much of an inconvenience."
"Yes, Lord, as long as it doesn't mean me giving up my house or going out of my comfort zone."
"Yes, Lord, as long as I can still provide the best for my children."
"Yes, Lord, but can it include a nice kitchen?"  (I don't have a fancy kitchen but I dream of one.)
"Yes, Lord, whatever the cost just as long as it's not too costly."


When Jesus asked his disciples to follow him, he didn't promise comfort and security.  In fact, he told them to leave everything behind (Mark 8:34-35).  In Matthew 8:20, when a teacher of the law reached out to Jesus and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go", Jesus responded with "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."  

What a strange response, isn't it?  Why not, "Sure, come along and enjoy the ride" or "Wonderful!  You'll be a fine addition"?  I think Jesus wanted to make it very clear that following him didn't guarantee comfort, security, or even a place to call home.  Jesus knew very well his home was in heaven with his Father.  His treasures were stored elsewhere.  He knew everything material would simply waste away and turn to dust.  "What good is it for man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36)

But it's the material things that's tangible for us.  The treasure we can count in our hands, see in our bank accounts, our 401k plans, feel in our bellies, and hug and kiss every night.

These things are certainly not wrong in of themselves.  But do they have a stronghold over us?  Do they have a stronghold over me?  In his book Counterfeit Gods, Tim Keller says "the human heart takes good things like a successful career, love, material possessions, even family, and turns them into ultimate things."

There are many idols I need to lay down before the Lord.

I am struggling right now.  I am struggling to understand God's will for my life and for my family's.  I'm particuarly struggling to understand how to use the passions and giftings He's given me for His great glory.  What do I do with my passions for mothering, creativity, baking, writing, photography?  How do I tie it in with my compassion for the poor and hurting, my understanding of the needs around the world, and my desire to be a godly woman?  How does it all fit together?  Or does it?

Stearns says, "The lesson I learned is that God expects us to serve Him on His terms - not ours."

Well, after Stearns examined his heart and received several confirmations from the Lord, he listened and obeyed.  And God has used Stearns' CEO background and training in amazing ways at the Christian worldwide relief organization.  His leadership has helped World Vision to grow, flourish, and reach out to the poor and needy in greater and mightier ways.

Lord, I want to be open to Your will for my life on Your terms, not mine.  Reveal to me what that is, and help me to be obedient.

2 comments:

Donna Perugini said...

A very stirring post, Rachel. "Tearing down strongholds" is very much a part of every Christian's life.

We struggle when we think we'll lose something very important to us. It's not unusual to 'negotiate' with God. When we finally get over the negotiating, we can step into His continued plan for our life.

It's all part of 'trusting Him'. As we trust Him more, we struggle less. There are promises associated with trusting Him:

"Trust in the Lord with all of your might, lean not to your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all of your ways..He will make your paths straight."

We wait for Him to tell us, "Now! The time is now!" It will happen, after we've trusted Him, 'rolled all our cares about it onto Him' and then follow after 'peace' in our hearts. No peace? Don't move!

Rachel said...

Donna - Thank you for the encouragement. It's so easy to say we trust Jesus when things are going well. It's when things get challenging/difficult that we start to question and "negotiate". On the commute to work today, hubby and I talked about how we're so hard-headed. Jesus has shown us time and time again in past difficult situations how faithful and good He is, and yet we still struggle to trust Him completely.

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts and comments.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms